Thursday, April 13, 2017

30 Day Baseball Card Challenge - Day 8: A card that reminds you of a family member.

Ahem well after a brief break to visit family down in Wisconsin I'm back and ready to push this challenge to the next level.  Let's get back to it.  Day 8 a card that reminds you of a family member.

I present Chipper Jones' 1991 Score Rookie card.

Back in the early 90's I was living in Berlin, Germany.  My father was stationed there in the army and it probably was the most defining time in my life.  Anyways for some reason the post exchange and all the smaller shopette convenience stores carried just about every major brand of sport card from 1989 to 1992.  If you know your sport card history this was the pinnacle of overproduction and the junk wax era.  My brother and I were both into baseball cards at the time and buying a ton of product since it was cheap.  I still have monster boxes full of base cards.  But every now and then we would trade.  I was into building sets and who knows how many I actually put together, but my brother was a little sneaker.  We'd trade, and he would go through and pull out all the rookie and prospect cards.  It took me a while to catch on.  He still has probably a shoeboxes full of them.   So while the 91 Score set was huge and overproduced it still have some notable rookies in the set.  Mr. Jones being one of the most prominent.  And whenever I see some early 90's junk wax rookie cards I can't help think of my brother.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. When I get around to writing it, this will be one of my favorite challenges to write about.

    ReplyDelete