Tuesday, January 24, 2012

1963 Topps Baseball Project - How do you neutralize an acid? With Al Kaline


Al "Mr. Tiger" Kaline.  Do you think Al's parents had a sense of humor?  Did they realize that by naming their son Albert that every time I hear his name I think of chemistry?  Who knows?  Al is the second HOFer I added to my collection recently.  I couldn't pass this card up. I ended up dropping a whole 10 bucks on it, plus $2.50 shipping.  Not to shabby for this puppy.  Four beautiful corners and decent centering.




Al is one of the few players to totally bypass the minor league system and pretty much graduated high school and started playing major league ball.  Al played all 22 years of his Major League career with the Tigers and still is pretty active with the team.  He's an 18 time All-Star, 10 time Golden Glove winner, got a World Series ring in 1968, and was another of the few first ballot Hall of Fame inductee's with 88% of the vote.  Al finished his career with 3,007 hits, 399 home runs, 1,583 RBI's and a lifetime batting average of .297.  So make some room in the front of the box.  And welcome Mr. Kaline to the 1963 Topps Project.

1 comment: