Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Topps Chrome Wrapper Redemptions: Can Topps stop the sinking ship that is Chrome?


Sooz over at A Cardboard Problem had an great post this morning about the new Topps Bowman Chrome wrapper redemption program.   So I headed over to the Topps website to find out a little more and too my surprise they actually had news.

Some points of interest if you haven't already notice this but these redemption programs are for HOBBY ONLY wrappers.  That's right you might as well throw away all your value pack wrappers right now.  And the all caps was Topps not me.  This includes both the  Bowman Chrome wrapper redemption and Topps Chrome Baseball.  Topps also announced that there would be Heyward and Posey refractor autos given out.  That's nice.

Here's an interesting blurb from the post:
"And because of a production error, the previously announced Autographed 2010 Bowman Chrome USA BUYBACK program will now be included as part of this wrapper redemption.  Cards will be sequentially numbered with foil stamping to 100 and will include Bryce Harper, James Taillon, Yasmani Grandal, Drew Pomeranz, Michael Choice, Christian Colon, Manny Machado and Bryce Brentz"

I suppose this means that they forgot to insert them into the product or all the autos rubbed off as that seems to be an issue this year with chrome.

And you need all 18 wrappers from you box.  Yep only 18 packs per box.  4 cards per pack. And at my LCS packs were going for $4.25.  I picked up 2 to try it out and to tell the truth Topps would have to guarantee me an autographed card to get me to buy more. 

So once again it looks like quality and production control  seem to be the big issue at Topps.  I reported on this last month.  Remember when wrapper redemptions were a thank you and not an apology?

I remember back in the 90's when Fleer Ultra had their wrapper redemption and you got a nice pack of Eck cards to throw in your binder.  I'm sure I still have them somewhere too.  See that was a thank you for buying our product, if you take the time to send us you wrappers we'll send you a nice pack of exclusive cards.  Now it's "we're sorry we have our heads up our asses here take time out of your busy day and dig out all those wrappers you just threw away and send them to us and we'll try and make it up to you."

I bought one box of Topps Chrome baseball and you bet I sent my wrappers in.  Both of my Autos were smudged and since I couldn't find the receipt and I'm sending my wrappers in, Topps wouldn't do anything.  Alright I really didn't try very hard, but fuck you Topps and your shitty cards. 

Sorry Sorry.

My point being is that it kind of looks like a desperate ploy on Topps' part to save there sinking brand.  Especially now that people could care less about that injured pitcher guy from the Nationals.  I did a quick price check over at Blowout cards and DAC Topps Chrome is under 40 bucks a box, 37.95 at BO and 39.95 at DAC, Bowman Chrome is just under 50 bucks a box and I have a feeling you will be able to pick this up for 35 in a few weeks.  49.80 at BO and 48.95 at DAC.  Looks like Chrome football is moving downward as well.

I might be cynical as ever, but I can see damage control as well as anyone.  And making the wrapper redemptions Hobby Only only clarifies which of it's products are screwed up.  I haven't heard anyone complain about quality from retail blasters and value packs.  Hmmmm. 

Comments?  Horror stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment